Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Travel, Virgin America Style

 Kubrick-esque mood lighting

A recent impromptu trip to San Francisco gave me the opportunity to check out the highly touted Virgin America planes for the first time.  I know I am a bit late to the game on this, but hey, I can't help it if I like racking up my Southwest miles.
The Good
Style-wise I have to give them props. The planes are slickly lit with purple hover lighting, that give it a 2001: Space Odyssey feel. The seatback pockets are smartly divided in two, with a red plastic bin for corporate/safety info and a separate mesh net for your personals. No more Blackberry lost between the inflight mag and airsickness bag (yeah, function over form).




Retractable gaming remote
The Not So Good
Each armrest is equipped with a retractable gaming remote that retracts at inopportune moments.  The touted "seat to seat" chat was not operating on either of my flights.  I can't remember which airline has the trivia contest where you compete against the entire plane - but I love that! My running dialogue during those flights goes something like this, "Take that 1A ... Yes, back here in 34C and crushing you with my random useless knowledge." I hope Virgin America offers something similar in the future, but for now you have to settle for a few lame games with horrible graphics and a paddle that keeps snapping back into your armrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment